Disney Parks in Motion: Part 1

What you are about to see is not a slight of hand or trick. It is a blend of film and photography known as a cinemagraph. You might consider it the grown up version of the animated GIF, with a certain level of…

What you are about to see is not a sleight of hand or trick. It is a blend of film and photography known as a cinemagraph. You might consider it the grown-up version of the animated GIF, with a certain level of sophistication to its smooth animation in place of the usual stutter or jitter.

(Note: Because of the nature of these files, they may take a moment or two to load smoothly)

Enchanted Tiki Torches by Matthew Hansen
Enchanted Tiki Room cinemagraph by Tours Departing Daily

The first time we saw a cinemagraph we were mesmerized. And the second time. And the third… We knew we had to try it and that Disneyland presented a uniquely special setting for doing so. It’s one step closer to what we always strive to achieve with our pictures — the feeling of being there. Nearly two years later, here we are.

Like the title indicates, this is part 1. That means there will be much more to come (some of which has already been photographed and filmed all over Disneyland and DCA). The only limit to creating these dreamlike scenes is imagination. Two years will leave you with quite a backlog of ideas.

We call it imagination constipation and it’s time to get it out.

We hope these mini “motion” pictures instill in you the same feeling they do in us but we’d like to hear from you. Have you ever seen a cinemagraph before? What do you think of them? Let us know in the comments below!

If you enjoyed this post, please share it!

About Matt Hansen

Matt is a photographer and designer based in San Diego. When he’s not working, he's charting his next adventure over coffee or craft beer.

19 Comments

1. Very much like these, however I wish the water reflecting the torches was also moving

1. Unfortunately for us, our equipment can’t quite cleanly expose such a dark area for filming or I probably would have! As it stands, however, it does showcase one of the things that first appealed to me with cinemagraphs — contrasting motion with something frozen in motion, which creates sort of a surreal spectacle.

2. I’ve never seen these, but I LOVE them!!! You guys do such amazing work, and this just takes it to another level!

3. I made some with my iPhone at a the park. Its fun. http://micenation.tumblr.com

1. Nice! Never tried it on my iPhone but those turned out great.

4. Very cool. I love the tiki shot but can’t see the waterfall image moving.

1. Sorry to hear that. Maybe it needed a refresh or more time to load? GIF files can be a little finicky.

5. Such an interesting bit of tech. Seems simple but makes an impact. Thanks for the creativity.

1. It’s a very simple idea. I’m kicking myself that it took us so long to finally do some.

6. You guys are such an inspiration for photogs like me!

1. Thank you. That means a great deal to us!

7. Bravo. I’ve tried this in the past but couldn’t get the resolution correct. My gifs always looked speckled with noise.

1. Thanks, Bryan! I think dealing with the file output is probably the hardest part about making these. We weren’t sure how they would turn out with the style of photos we do because a lot of cinemagraphs go a monochromatic route to make GIF conversion easier.

8. Really cool! I have seen cinemagraphs before but these are much better!

9. Wow! These are fabulous! And just when I thought your pictures couldn’t possibly get any better. You guys are amazing!

1. @charlareaves:disqus, thank you! So glad you’re enjoying them.

10. These are awesome. Now if you could just get to work on the smells of Disneyland coming through your images, that would be great. 😉

1. Haha, thanks @seaneboy:disqus. That would be pretty sweet!

11. Really beautiful images that reflect the atmosphere of this magical place. Kudos to the TDD tream!!